What you need to know banner

coming to canada iconCOMING TO CANADA

Settlement Agencies

Settlement services exist in most cities and towns in Canada to help new immigrants adapt and adjust to life in Canada.

Settlement services include:

  • Interpretation and translation of documents, or help arranging these services
  • Help filling out forms and applications
  • English as a second language (ESL) classes for you and your family
  • Help finding a job or training
  • Information about other community services, schools for your children and health care for you and your family

These services are often free as the provincial and territorial governments provide financial assistance. They are always confidential.

Many settlement agencies have staff who can speak languages other than English and French. If you go to a settlement agency and they do not have the service or language you need, they will help you find another agency that does.

Settlement agencies can also be called immigrant services or refugee-serving agencies, or newcomer services. Some schools and libraries also have settlement services.

Many agencies have eligibility requirements that you must meet to use their services. For example, you might have to live in a certain area, or have a certain immigration status.

You can consult a list of settlement agencies on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website.

Nova Scotia

Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS) is a community-based organization that welcomes newcomers and offers a full range of support along a settlement continuum.